Saturday, June 27, 2009



We made it to Guangzhou last night and I think we're going to love it here. The White Swan Hotel is amazing ( aside from the rock hard beds), and it's much more relaxed and quiet. here. Kerry did not to well on the plane ride at all. She started crying in the airport and that lasted pretty much throughout the entire 2 hour plane ride, much to the dismay of the passengers around us. The poor thing was inconsolable, but we made it through and she seemed to feel better after "letting it all out". She still seems most comfortable in our room with just Doug and myself but we took her down to the play room that the White Swan has set up for all of the many adoptive families that come through and she seemed to enjoy that. What she didn't enjoy today was the Doctors visit but the great news is two Doctors listened to her heart and neither one could hear a murmur, thank God. Kerry had a wonderful day aside from that. She laughed and played a lot. We ate dinner at the famous Lucy's Cafe...so good. I was able to get the first tall glass of iced tea since leaving home. In China, they don't generally serve drinks with ice or in glasses as large as we're used to at home.

Let me tell you what my spicy Jiangxi girl did after dinner. We decided to go back to the play room and on the way we stopped by the enormous fish pond/river which includes a two story indoor waterfall. We were out on the bridge when Kerry suddenly tosses her snack cup of cheerios into the pond/river and says "uh" (uh oh)! After we had supressed our laughter we grabbed the first staff person we could find and explained that "the baby" pointing at Kerry "threw that" pointing at the snack cup which was quickly being buffeted away by the dozens of enormous Koi fish that live in the pond/river/thing. She understood well enough, nodded, and scurried off. When she came back the poor lady had to climb through the plants and onto a rock ledge to retrieve it from the marauding fish with a long pole. I'm pretty sure we laughed more about it later than she did.


This is Kerry's new friend Mary from the hotel in Nanchang. She staying here in the White Swan, too, and will make her new home in California.

Enjoying the"Swan Room"

8 comments:

Harlow Family said...

Thank god for the wonderful news!

Harlow Family said...

I love the pond story!

susan said...

Awwwww! Kerry wanted to share her Cheerios with the fish! How sweet! Sharing is good, right????

Dale And Stephanie said...

I guess we know who will be in charge of feeding your fish.
So, Is she drinking Ice Tea, eating pizza, listening to Bluegrass yet?

Leslie said...

Gin, I have been living under a rock lately and did not know you were in China! I have tears streaming down my face with pure joy for your family. She is beautiful! I am glad things sound to be going well, she is sure going through a huge transition right now. I love the cheerios story, welcome to the world of "spicy girls"! Enjoy your time at the White Swan, yes it is pretty posh and a nice change of pace! Congratulations!

fleur de lis cottage said...

Her personality is definitely coming out...she's just the cutest

Reta McKeehan said...

She is so beautiful! I can't wait to see your pictures. I love reading your blog & keeping up with your trip & watching Kerry blossom. She has the sweetest, most kissable face! Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! I love the fish story! If you handled 2 hours of crying, you can handle anything. You've already experienced one of the "joys" of parenting! I can't wait to see her!!

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours