Thursday, August 25, 2011

101_0357

We've been toying with the idea of putting Kerry in a one day a week program for months now ( I think I've mentioned it here before). I've also mentioned Kerry's struggles with separation anxiety...it was a good year before we could even leave her with one of her grandparents for a little while...let alone someone she doesn't know well. I just couldn't take the look of terror, followed by panicked wails the few times we tried. I couldn't put her through it. It's just been this summer that she's gone to Children's Church on Sunday's without tears. Every thing I've ever read about toddler adoption and children who've come from "institutional" settings, along with my gut instincts with her, have told me that I need to be sure that she really "gets" that we'll always come back for her before pushing the issue. But, I've really wanted to put her in some sort of program so she's somewhat prepared for the separation that will come with Pre-K next year. Well, in the just the past couple of months or so, she has started showing so many signs of readiness that we decided to enroll her in a one day a week "Kids Kamp" program. Last Thursday was her first day. Let me tell you I lost some sleep worrying about how she might do. I had to work that day, but luckily Dougs parent's were just minutes away and "on standby" if she got truly and unconsolably upset. We'd spent the previous week talking with her about it, and letting her watch all of the "going to school" programs I could get my hands on. She'd met her "teacher" and some of her little classmates the week before. We got her new shoes, and let her pick out a lunchbox. Anything to prepare her and give her a sense of control in the situation.

Well, I'm very happy to report that my worries were for naught. We walked her to her room and after a quick good bye kiss and an "I'll be back soon"...we left. She had a worried look for a few seconds but "Miss Billie" quickly got her distracted as we left. I stood outside the door for a few seconds.....not so much as one tear (her at least... I was "this close"). Today was her second time going and, again, she did great. She even napped during their rest time which tells me she how comfortable she is with this. My girl finally "gets it". She trusts that we'll a lways come back for her. I can't tell you how happy this makes me. Yes it's always bittersweet when you see your child growing up and not needing you as much. But I'm so happy for her that she finally seems to feel safe in the knowledge that we'll never leave her.


7 comments:

Tina Michelle said...

That is amazing! I am so glad this is working out.

the meaklims said...

It is an awesome moment, when their trust is this big. Well done Mama, you've shown her that she is loved so much and her security and independance has built off that.

Well done, both of you!

Jill

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh, sweet girl - growing up!! And darling too :-) how is Mom doing?

Wendy said...

Yeah I am so excited for her and you!!!

Have a great weekend!!

Diane said...

So happy for you both! I know Kerry Lu will love it. Katie has the same lunch bag and love Kai-lan too:)

God Bless,
Diane

De Lucchi Family Treasures said...

Well done you!! So glad she was ok. I hated leaving mine when they were howling. It is such a relief to leave them and know that they are happy.
Love the photos of your little princess!!
Love Jules
xxxxx

Ms. J said...

Well done, Mama Bear!

Yes, yes, YES, you must trust your instincts, and shut out the b.s. from (well-meaning) folks who tell you "oh, she'll be fine." It's different. And if others can't acknowledge it's different, then they there is no way they can possibly begin to understand what our girls have gone through, and how much effort has gone into rebuilding trust at the most primal level.

You know I am here whenever you need that kind of support. Sometimes they take itty-bitty steps back, but you will be able to handle those with much grace, too.

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours