Monday, August 29, 2011

After tackling the highchair project a few weeks back, I decided to try to find an old wooden doll bed to fix up for Kerry to play with. I had some paint and plenty of fabric left over, and the sewing machine was already dusted off and oiled, so why not? I started by scouring the internet for several hours and found multiple listings for "vintage wooden doll bed" but most were selling for 50 to 100 dollars and up. Not exactly what I wanted to pay. But I learned a long time ago that, with a little patience, a better deal can usually be found. Luckily, I didn't have to wait long or look far. I decided to hit a "Peddler's Mall" across town, and just before I was about to leave, I found what I'd been looking for...almost.
IMG_9452
I actually had more of a crib style bed in mind, but this was wooden, looked like it would go well with the high chair, Kerry liked it, and it was marked down to 18 dollars. Score!
So, like the high chair, I hit it with some primer and "ballet slipper pink" spray paint. I made new mattresses for it. And I made new pillows and quilts for it using the same fabric that I used on the high chair.
IMG_9454
Kerry even got to help by stuffing the pillows with poly-fill.
IMG_9461
IMG_9623
The end product. I can see a couple of things I wish I'd done differently, like making the quilts a little wider so they'd maybe drape better, but Kerry is happy with it and that's what matters most to me. ( The wet spot on her skirt came from her little toy car outside in case you noticed it).

IMG_9632fix


Since there are actually two beds, Kerry can actually fit most of her "babies" in all at once by laying them sideways. And this bunkbed separates into two twin beds, too.
IMG_9636
Today Baby Penguin was the one enjoying the new bed. Kerry adores this little penguin...almost as much as her beloved pandas. Actually, she's into an "all things penguin" kick lately.
IMG_9637
So, anway, that's my latest project. And, again, I had a lot of fun doing it. And now that I've got the sewing machine all warmed up, I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some simple little skirts and dresses for Kerry. Maybe.

4 comments:

the meaklims said...

Awesome job again Gin! What an adorable set of bunk beds, they're beautiful - and what a great bargain. I love the light pink colour.

We bought Lilah a little dolly bed before she even came home from China. Anyway, I built it up just after she came home, but Lilah couldn't have cared less for it...so it went back down to the basement. Then on Saturday I was thinking since Lilah has her own bed now, maybe she'd appreciate it, so I brought it up out of the basement again. Sure enough, it's the toy that is being played with the most at the moment. She doesn't play with dolls, but like Kerry, she's having so much fun fitting as many of her stuffed animal friends as possible in there! I am constantly being ssshhhh'd and told to be quiet, because they're sleeping!

Jill

Debbie said...

SHE LOOKS OVER THE MOON...CLEVER YOU!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh my goodness....you are AMAZING!!!! I love it that you are taking the old things and making them new!!!

tiffany said...

What a great project!

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours