Wednesday, August 1, 2012



I have a storage bin full of old fabrics, buttons and other"sewing notions" that belonged to my Great Gramma.  She and I had a special bond and, in a lot of ways, I think I've turned out to be alot like her.  I was only 5 when she passed away in 1979 but I remember that she used to sew little outfits for me from time to time.  I found this fabric with pink balloons and navy stripes in with all of her old fabrics and wondered if maybe she had planned to make something for me from it.  Then I decided that, after sitting in a storage bin for over thirty years, she would want it put to good use!  So I found a simple pattern, dusted off my sewing machine, and made a skirt for my girl =). 

100_1753





100_1728


The pink fabric around the waist band was among my Great Gramma's fabrics too. 
I couldn't get the stripes to line up..so I just went for a "chevron pattern" effect.  They seem to be popping up absolutely everywhere lately, anyway.  The important thing is..its SUPER twirly =).

100_1731

Sigh, I miss my Canon.

5 comments:

the meaklims said...

This skirt and top, with the added botton is absolutely fabulous!! Well done Gin!

I've always wanted to be one of those people that can sew.... afraid not! So yes, I am envious of people like you.

People like me, have to stick to Etsy... or call my Mum!

Love seeing your whirly twirly girl, she looks as pleased as punch... oh, and what happened? No Canon?

Jill

Unknown said...

This is so cute. Aunt Mazeline used to make me things also. She made me gowns and PJ bottoms when I was older. The memories will be something Kerry will treasure when she is older.

The Byrd's Nest said...

I love the super twirly skirt and apparently sweet Kerry Lu loves it too:) Awesome job Mom!

Debbie said...

I love the skirt! I enjoyed catching up with what all you've done this summer, and it made me long for Disney again! Let me know next time you are in Georgia, I'd love to meet up.

Jessie said...

Gin, that is a great story and totally cute skirt! Oh, and thanks for reminding me I'm old ... was 1979 really 30 years ago? LOL - Nancy

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours