Monday, February 27, 2012

Three years ago today.


February 27, 2009 started off like any other day. We had switched over China's special needs program two months before, and honestly were not expecting to be matched for several more months. Boy was I surprised when a coworker told me that I had a call from our adoption agency on hold. It took about two/tenths of a second for me to realize what it must mean. I knew all of our paperwork was up to date, I knew we did not owe them any money at the moment. There could be only one reason for them to be calling me at work. I walked to the nearest phone and picked it up in what felt like a dream-like state and tried my best to listen to what Dana was telling me about a baby girl who would be"turning one year old the very next day, has a VSD, and is really really cute". After 12 years of waiting, we were going be parents. I hung up with Dana and immediately called Doug. I rushed home, we opened up THE e-mail and saw her sweet little face for the first time.

And we knew she was ours.
IMG_1768
This is the best shot I could get of Kerry with her referral photo this year because, well, she had other stuff to do =).

8 comments:

funks said...

Congratulations! Cara has VSD, too. I agree, "the call" is something you will never forget.

Debbie said...

Congratulations to your wee family...I remember "finding" your blog through Jill's Lilah Grace and just loved reading about your journey! What I have only just realised is that the day Gracie came home is the same date as Kerry's referral...how lovely! Enjoy this special time :)

Ani said...

Happy referral day!

Dana said...

Three years goes by so fast. Our girls are really growing up. Oh and I forgot to mention on facebook the bangs are adorable!

Ms. J said...

I've never done a referral day anniversary photo of Lil Pumpkin with the photos we received of her (and now I wish I had!!!) I think you've inspired me to start doing so, though.

Mazel to your family, and all those with love your precious girl. She is glorious.

"The shortest distance between two points is a leap of faith." -- I saw that on a church marquee just a few days before we switched to the Child of Promise (special needs) program at our agency. It was one of the two pivotal things that gave me the push and confidence to switch.

Lee and Sarah VanGrunsven said...

Happy Be-lated Referal day! :)
I too remember that call...The world stands still. I barely remember what our agency said to me :-)
I love that you take pictures of her with her photo :) I will have to sneak that idea too :)

The Byrd's Nest said...

She is a miracle indeed:)

the meaklims said...

Happy 3 years together! What a special time. I know exactly what that call feels like, and the second time is pretty crazy ridiculous too!!

She was meant to be yours - how wonderful and special. She is so loved.

Jill

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours