Monday, July 25, 2011

Ever pet a Kangaroo?

A Kangaroo's fur is actually incredibly soft. So soft, in fact. that they don't usually have to worry about fleas or ticks (something about them not liking the texture of the fur). We visited Kentucky Down Under yesterday and Kerry had a great time getting up close and personal with them. We had a guide to tell us who to pet, and how, and to tell us all about the animals.

IMG_9307

This is a large Red Kangaroo. Isn't he magnificent?! It was soooo hot and it was right in the middle of day so they were all resting in the shade. They have a huge enclosure with room to roam, or hop, and lots of shade trees for the animals.

IMG_9294fix
See the teeny little feet and ear peeking out of Mama's pouch? They belong to a five month old
Joey. These are Eastern Gray Kangaroos.
IMG_9297
And this is another Mama with her 7 month old Joey. We also saw a Wallaby, Ostrich, several kinds of sheep, and various birds.
Kerry's favorite thing, though, was the cave.
IMG_9250
My little Spelunker =)

IMG_9272

It was 65 degrees in the cave, so after being in the 90 plus degree temps, it felt awesome.


IMG_9268
IMG_9257


Kerry also got to go "panning" for gemstones.


IMG_9256
She thought this was pretty great, too.

IMG_9252



IMG_9318
What she did NOT like, though, was when we went in to the Lorikeet enclosure and one landed on her head. This photo was taken about two tenths of a second before the screaming and tears began. Poor baby was tired and hot by this time and just could not handle it.

IMG_9320
After all of the fun, and heat, she was out like a light soon after her little rear hit the carseat. With her good friend Robe, of course.

5 comments:

the meaklims said...

I bet those caves were refreshing! I love Kerry's cave hat!

Poor Kerry, I would not have liked that thing landing on my head either - especially with it's claws!

Hope you're all enjoying having Doug home!

Jill

Dana said...

Looks like so much fun! I always wanted to go there, I just never got around to it. Great pictures! To bad the lorikeet landed on her head....that would freak me out a little too.

Wendy said...

That looks like so much fun, well except for the bird on poor little Kerry Lu's head!!! I love her hair like that, so adorable!

Unknown said...

I remember when we went there when Jake was little I loved it and the cave so awesome. Your going to have to try gun town mountain sometime. Remember the sun burns and the chair lifts. LOL

Blake said...

We love KY Down Under!! So much fun:)

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours