Saturday, December 11, 2010


This girl-o-mine just warms my heart.


IMG_6362

Now that she's learned to speak in full sentences, she's getting to be quite the little chatter-box.



IMG_6358boost



As in she can talk...non-stop...for extended periods of time. I'm not complaining, I love being able to really communicate with her. And witnessing this language acquisition has been absolutely fascinating to me. From the 15 month old trying to wrap her little brain around this new language she was hearing, speaking her first few English words before we'd left China. The toddler spending the next few months soaking up the language, picking up a new word or two every few days, all the while losing understanding of her first language. Then it seemed like the day she turned two, she started stringing these words together into her first two-three word sentences.


N0w, 9 months later, she's speaking in complete sentences, and is even starting to pick up some "slang". And she's misprouncing some words less and less. It's almost bittersweet as it just brings home the reality of how quickly she's growing up. She'll be three in just less than three months, which means she officially graduates from toddler to preschooler, though it seems she's been in some sort of "in between' stage for several months now. Some things we've heard lately:
"Hi guys!"

" I'm so funny!"

"I can't take a nap, Mommy"

" I'm gonna go show Daddy my sad" (she does this if something puts her in a less than happy mood)

And now if she's not too sure how to react she says to herself: "Are you happy or sad?.........HAPPY!!"
Well, about nine times out of ten she decides she's happy
But the BEST thing I've heard is "I love you".
Kerry and I are both a bit under the weather with some sort of cold/allergy type thing. We don't really "feel bad" but let's just say we sound bad and we've been going through tissues like crazy.

8 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Oh she is so beautiful!!!! Love these photos. Kate is quite the chatterbox too:)

Unknown said...

Hope you both feel better it is that time a year again. Get the tissues i told you about the other night they really help sore nose's . Miss you guys. Our kiddos are growing way to fast.

Harlow Family said...

Oh no it hit you both! Well I hope you both feel better soon!

Wendy said...

Hi Gin! I know it has been a long time but I am still following. Merrin is back into not liking me on the computer so I don't get much time to check out all my blogs I love and we have been having alot go on since Sept. but things are starting to turn around and I am hoping I can start up my blog again. I just wanted to say Kerry Lu is so beautiful, I love the photos!! Happy holidays and I hope you both are feeling better soon :)

Anonymous said...

Kerry Lu is so beautiful. I love her dark blue black hair. So fun that she loves to talk. What happy holidays you will have!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Lottie is a chatterbox also....wears me out with questions!!! lol

Hope you two are feeling better:)

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh my goodness; don't I know chatterbox!?! ha!!

Kerry Lu is GORGEOUS and I have connected the dots as to who she reminds me of - take a look:

http://lifewithleahandkate.blogspot.com/

Kate is the little sister & she is from Henan - I think she's darling & she reminds me of your Kerry Lu - two beautiful girls!

Hope you enjoy that chatter while you've got it! I think we will all miss it one day!

Blessings,
Sara

Virginia said...

Sara,

I know exactly who you're referring to, in fact, they live in the same city and I actually met them at an Autumn Moon get together this fall. Kate is even more stunning in person! I've always thought they resembled each other, too..except Kate has a very fair complexion.

Gin =)

My photo
I've been happily married to my wonderful husband for 15 years. Two year ago we were blessed to welcome our first child, a Daughter from China and are absolutely in love with her.

Blog Archive

No Hands But Ours